Granite State College offers a Post-Baccalaureate Program for candidates interested in pursuing teacher certification. The Post-Baccalaureate Teacher Certification program is designed for 21st Century Educators, providing an in-depth focus on the critical issues that are transforming the landscape of education - innovation, critical thinking, problem solving and collaboration.
- Be reflective and knowledgeable about learners and are able to employ instructional methods, strategies and technologies to meet the needs of all students;
- Have a rich understanding of the subject/s that they teach;
- Employ best practices in the planning, delivery and assessment of instruction to improve learning achievement of Pre-K-12 students.
The application process for the Post-Baccalaureate Teacher Certification Programs is a two-part application process. Applications for admission are accepted on a rolling basis, offering the opportunity to begin studies at Granite State College at any term during the year. There are four start dates (Fall, Winter, Spring and Summer) throughout the academic year. Please see the "Academic Calendar” section.
Application for Admission
Part I is due at Admission.
Part II is required for full admission and includes the following:
- Bachelor’s Degree with a 3.0 GPA average for the last 60 credit hours, or a 3.0 GPA at the graduate level, from a regionally accredited college or university.
- Completed application form.
- 500-1000 word statement which includes professional goals and aspirations, motivation for applying for the degree, and relevant formal or informal experiences.
- Two signed letters of professional or academic reference and/or two completed recommendation forms.
- Current resume.
- Official transcripts of all previous college work (with translation and evaluation if completed outside of the United States) sent directly to the Graduate Admissions Office, by the Registrar of the colleges or universities attended.
- Passing PRAXIS CORE Academic Skills for Educators scores or current teacher certification.
- Criminal History Records Check.
- Means for meeting minimal technical requirements: https://td.unh.edu/TDClient/60/Portal/KB/ArticleDet?ID=3240
Students are also required to attend a New Student Orientation.
Additional Requirements Completed in EDU 700 Introduction to Field Experience/Program Requirements (1 s.h.) include:
- Personal Plan of Study
- Identification of Field Placement and Supervising Practitioner or Mentor
Minimum GPA requirement of 3.0
|Major in Elementary ED for Already Cert Teachers 1|
|Introductory Level Education Courses|
|EDU 700||Introduction to Field Experience and Program Requirements||1|
|EDU 717||Students with Disabilities||4|
|EDU 721||Special Education Law||4|
|EDU 701||The Dynamic Role of the Special Educator||4|
|EDU 707||Managing Student Behavior||4|
|Intermediate Level Education Courses|
|EDU 705||Assessment of Students with Disabilities||4|
|EDU 702||Using Technology to Teach Social Studies||4|
|EDU 704||Strategies for Teaching Science||4|
|EDU 706||Transition Planning and Developing IEPs||2|
|Advanced Level Education Courses|
|EDU 710||Teaching Language Arts and Literacy||6|
|EDU 732||Elementary School Mathematics Methods||4|
|EDU 750||Culminating Teaching Experience and Seminar||4|
A minimum grade of C is required in all Major coursework.
State Certification Requirements
The following requirements must be completed in order to be recommended to the state for Teacher Certification.
Candidates who qualify for K-8 certification must also complete Praxis II- Middle School Content Exam.
- Praxis Core Academic Skills For Educators Exam required. Passing Praxis Core Exam scores, NH DOE waiver or current NH teaching certification must be submitted prior to completion of EDU 700 Introduction to Field Experience and Program Requirements (1 s.h.) to continue with clinical courses.
- Praxis II-Elementary Education Multiple Subject Exam required. Students must attempt to pass Praxis II exam prior to taking the Culminating Teaching Experience & Seminar. Passing exam scores are required for state certification. Candidates who qualify for K-8 certification must also complete Praxis II- Middle School Content Exam.
Pearson Foundations of Reading Exam required. Students must attempt to pass Pearson Foundations of Reading Exam prior to taking the Culminating Teaching Experience & Seminar. Passing exam scores are required for state certification.