Students in the Hotel, Restaurant, and Travel minor will explore the theories, principles, and trends of successful hospitality operations in a constantly changing environment. Courses are designed to employ experiential and immersive teaching techniques to assist students in learning how to diagnose and address the diverse range of issues associated with the hospitality industry. This minor focuses on helping students to learn how to develop practical leadership and managerial competencies as well as using systems thinking to discover the interrelated nature of the industry and the communities that support these vital economic, cultural, and lifestyle operations. NOTE: This minor may not be declared with the following major: BS Business Management: Hotel, Restaurant, Travel.
Students will have the opportunity to:
1. Identify and evaluate how the various segments of the hotel, restaurant, and travel industries operate in a constantly evolving environment.
2. Evaluate, develop, and apply effective managerial and leadership competencies in the areas of: hotel and restaurant operations, revenue management, cost controls, event/venue planning and management, and travel and tourism management.
3. Analyze, evaluate and solve industry related problems utilizing data driven reasoning concepts, critical systems thinking in all sectors of the hotel, restaurant, and travel industries while applying problem-solving and critical-thinking skills to create efficiencies in hospitality operations, improve interpersonal skills, and to resolve workplace conflict.
4. Articulate the ethical importance of hiring, training, and employing a diverse workforce.
5. Evaluate and employ technology that assists in both financial and operational efficiencies while acknowledging and addressing the inherent ethical and practical issues.
|HRT 600||Hotel & Restaurant Management||4|
|HRT 602||Leadership and Sustainable Tourism||4|
|Choose three of the following:||12|
|Food Service Systems and Control|
|Event, Meeting, and Conference Management|
|Revenue Management in the Hospitality Industry|
|Marketing Hospitality Organizations|